What can’t a freelance flight instructor do?

The biggest thing that keeps coming up for us a freelance flight instructors, is that without being a full FTU (Flight Training Unit), we are unable to issue written tests to our students.

These include:

  • PSTAR – Pre-Solo Test of Air Regulations
  • RORC – Radiotelephone Operator’s Restricted Certificate (Aeronautical)
  • PPAER – Private Pilot (Aeroplane)

We recommend getting the RORC and PSTAR done as soon as possible, as we’ve recently learned that the RORC can take up to a week to arrive after completing the exam and you can no longer solo with a temporary radio document in your pocket.

In addition to the written tests, an AP – Authorized Person must be brought into the mix to issue the SPP – Student Pilot Permit, and the final flight test must of course be given by a pilot examiner, which will need to be arranged.

Some APs are withholding the issuance of the SPP until all the pre-solo exercises have been completed, and the PTR (Pilot Training Record) has been duly documented. This is not in-line with the CARs, but we are in many ways at their mercy, so knowing ahead of time what the AP and associated FTU require will reduce the frustration significantly…

Leave a Reply